Earlier this week, lovely man came striding home, clutching a rather large bag of parsnips. Waggling them under my nose, he announced, “20p… 20p!”. He continued “20 blinking p! For ALL THESE”. He then waggled them at me again, just in case I hadn’t seen them the first time.
“Brilliant!” I trilled… whilst thinking “What the actual chuff are we going to do with ALL THOSE? We’ll be living off parsnips FOREVER! We will smell of parsnips, FFS!”
I repeated… “Brilliant…. whatever shall we do with all those, darling?”
“No idea – but we’ll think of something,” he said confidently.
For a couple of days, the parsnips sat on the kitchen counter, looking at me. I glared back, trying to summon up some inspiration. Today I decided that they were going to have it… I was going to rustle them into something delicious. A quick Google later, and I had a recipe for curried parsnip soup. It went a bit like this…
- Peel and chop the parsnips into cubes
- Sautee two onions in some butter, and add ALL THE PARSNIPS
- Add about a litre of chicken stock, two teaspoons of medium curry powder and a teaspoon of crushed chillies
- Simmer until the parsnips are cooked
- Blend until smooth and stir in a big dollop of double cream
- If it’s too thick, add a bit of cream, milk or water
I now have four pots of the stuff ready to freeze. I’ve just had a taste, and, Oh My Goodness – it’s a taste sensation. Seriously one of the best soups I’ve ever made… and I’ve dabbled with a few.
My life is now complete
AMEN to curried parsnip soup!